Hong Kong-born Bonnie Chiu is the Founder and CEO of award-winning social enterprise Lensational, which equips marginalised women with photography training and digital skills. Since launching in 2013, the organisation – which has expanded to a team of 120 volunteers – has taught photography to 800 women across 23 countries, and established partnerships with Getty Images, Standard Chartered Bank, Colgate and Vodafone Institute. Recognised as a champion for global development and gender equality, she has been invited to speak in 15 countries, featured by major press outlets and is a Forbes Contributor. She was also featured as the Ambassador for Sustainable Development Goal 5 in the Lavazza Calendar.
She is the Managing Director of The Social Investment Consultancy (TSIC), an international strategy consulting firm that advises clients on social innovation and promotes cross-sector collaboration, headquartered in London with offices in Hong Kong, Italy, United Arab Emirates and Qatar. Her clients include Save The Children, Oxford University Press and Tactical Technology Collective. She is a convener and thought leader in impact investing, serving as the Executive of Diversity Forum in the UK, and the Coordinator of the Women in Social Finance, a network for 100 senior women in impact investing.
Apart from leading organisations, Bonnie also serves strategic governance roles. She is the Trustee of Student Hubs, a national charity that catalyses social action in universities; and sits on the Global Alumni Advisory Board of the Chinese University of Hong Kong. She has been awarded Forbes 30 Under 30 Social Entrepreneur in Europe in 2017, the Hong Kong Youth Service Award, and Young Achiever of the Asian Women of Achievement Awards in 2016. The Entrepreneur.com has listed her as one of 30 International Entrepreneurs Really Are Solving the World's Problems.
She holds a MSc in International Relations from the London School of Economics, and a BBA in Global Business Studies from the Chinese University of Hong Kong, in collaboration with Copenhagen Business School and University of North Carolina (Chapel Hill).
A global citizen at heart with roots in Hong Kong and Indonesia, she is now based in London after living in the United States, Singapore, Pakistan, Denmark and Germany.
- United Nations Sustainable Development Goals Storyteller Award (2018, Germany)
- NatWest, Women in Social Enterprises (WISE) 100 List (2017, UK)
- Forbes, 30 Under 30 Social Entrepreneurs' List Europe (2017, UK)
- Hong Kong Federation of Youth Groups, Hong Kong Youth Service Award (2016, Hong Kong)
- One Young World, Marmalade Fisch Scholarship (2016, Canada)
- Asian Women of Achievement Awards, Young Achiever (2016, UK)
- Social Innovation and Global Ethics Forum, First Runner-Up (2016, Geneva)
- London School of Economics Start-Up Competition, Winner (2015, UK)
- Hivos Social Innovation Award, Winner (2015, UK)
- McKinsey Venture Academy, Finalist (2014, UK)
- Hong Kong SAR Government, Talent Development Scholarship (2013, Hong Kong)
- International Youth Forum Seliger, Best Delegate (2013, Russia)
- Social Venture Challenge Asia, Third Place Award (2013, South Korea)
- Resolution Project, Fellowship at Harvard Model United Nations Conference (2013, Australia)
- Joint-University Business Management Challenge sponsored by HSBC, Winner (2011, Hong Kong)